jcardinell

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Today

So yea, today was most New York day yet. I saw liberals, activist, Chinese, and Italians.

Liberals:
This morning I was going to the Kimmel Center (aka the Student Union), for a tour of the “campus.” Of course if you know anything about NYU, you know that there is not really a campus. It is just a bunch of buildings in NY. Anyway I was on my way to the tour and what do I hear? Are those drums? Is that a chant? What is going on? I began to think that maybe they were having a parade. When I finally got to Washington Square I realized very quickly that it was not a parade and there were no marching bands. Instead, it was a band of marchers. The band was made up of graduate students and faculty. They were marching in response to NYU’s refusal to allow them to unionize. It was kind of annoying and pointless. The only people who actually were affected by the event were other students and I really doubt their catchy chants rang through the twenty floor office window of the president.

Activist:
After my tour I ran a few errands and ended up back in Washington Square to read my David Sedaris book (Thanks Ashley!!!). Well in the middle of my reading, this band started playing on the recently erected stage. Over the course of an hour or so I heard several local bands and some other local “celebrates.” What was the point of this free concert? Glad you asked. They are trying to save a local bar/club called CBGBs. It is a club on the end of Bleecker in the East Village. The club’s stage has been home to such band as the Ramones. Anyway some guy wants to evict them and tear down the club to build some chain story or something. As a result everyone is in an uproar. They did make a sad point. They were talking about how such “historic” places were disappearing. They mentioned Preservation Hall being lost in the New Orleans flood. It was kinda sad because I thought of all the cool places in NO that I am sure are gone or ruined. I know they can rebuild, but there are some places that I know were not able to get everything out. I mean imagine all those used bookstores in the Quarter. There is no way the owners were able to get all their books off the bottom floors. And think about that cool little junk shop on Royal! It is so sad.

Chinese and Italians:
This afternoon we went to China Town and Little Italy. I think I will probably go back to this Chinese place to eat when I get some cash. When I get lots of cash, I am going back to Little Italy and gorge myself!!

Any way that was day in NY. Later we are going to see Rocky Horror Picture Show!

2 Comments:

  • the new orleans thing is sad because i remember telling you i'd never been there and you said you would take me to all the cool places like the bookstores and stuff. i was thinking about that yesterday...

    and i'm pissed, j! you're going to see Rocky Horror without me????!!!not fair!!! ARRRRGGG!!!!!! (Do the Time Warp!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Sep 01, 09:29:00 AM 2005  

  • i too am pissed. damnit janet. i want to go.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Sep 01, 11:28:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home