jcardinell

Sunday, July 17, 2005

remembrance of things past

so yea, I am probably writing way too much on here--but like Mrs. Harper pointed out to me, I have way to much time on my hands.

It is funny that I start by talking about Mrs Harper because this post is about past things. The other night I was laying in bed and could not sleep. That in itself is somewhat funny because, as many of you know, sleeping is my hobby. As a result of my "naps" in the afternoon, I do not sleep at night. Yes I have tried counting sheep, but this causes me to start thinking about sheep. I have tried "Baptist whiskey" (AK Niquil) but it tends to freak me out when I wake up at 4 am and my arms will not move. So this night I was simply trying to name all the people in my graduating class. While there were only 27 of us, I could not name them all. I did not feel bad about this because I do not remember people easily. A friend of mine has told that I don't remember people because I never really look at people. I don't know.

In the top of my closet is a box labeled "senior crap." So at 1:30 in the morning I pulled it down with the sole purpose of looking at my year book (which was not there). What was there was a scrap book. I looked through the book and came to the end where there was a stack of things that I never glued into the book. In the stack was something I have been thinking about off and on for the past seven years. This item is very important but it is not something that is unique to me. Many graduates from GCS have one of these. Some still have it. Some lament its lose. I was talking to Andy the other day and he too has one. He laments its lose.

This object, this artifact of my youth, is my letter from Mrs Harper. For those of you who don't know this woman. She was the English teacher at GCS. Mrs Harper taught senior English and ever year she wrote a lettter to ever senior. By the time I graduated she was one of my favorite people. I loved her class. I remember sitting in the back of her classroom my senior year making fun of all the people in there. Ashley, Joel, and I had fun!

It is funny, that is all I can remember about her class. I think the reason I loved her as a teacher was not because of her knowledge of the subject or her great presentation but because of she cared about her students. She saw what they were suffering through and ached for them. This the curse and privilege of a teacher. Thanks......

anyway, I am at work, so I guess I should go read--haha

2 Comments:

  • J, this is new to me. I hope I am doing it right. What a sweet tribute to your English teacher. I was kinda sad that all you remember about the class is making fun of people. Surely I taught you something!!!!!! I sure do miss teaching senior English. I cried the last day of summer school - a lot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Jul 21, 01:09:00 PM 2005  

  • J!!!

    You had to remember THE GREAT GATSBY!!! It was the greatest book ever! All the motifs and such... Wow... Mrs. Harper I remember it all! From that to us making fun of the poems on tape... "O' Edward, Edward O" to the Canterbury Tales. Oh what those stories REALLY meant. And who can forget "Somewhere in Time"?!? I heard the Rhapsody used in that movie in a wedding yesterday and I almost lost it!ha! One day I'll figure out that blasted movie. Mrs. Harper you're amazing! Three cheers for you!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon Jul 25, 11:06:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home