jcardinell

Saturday, December 10, 2005

MoMA

so yea, I have been telling people for a few months that I did not enjoy the Metropolitan Museum of Art. When they respond with the dramatic, "WHY?!" I have an answer ready. I say, "well since I am not an art person I need popular art, art I recongize." I then explain that I can appreciate the beauty of obscure art, but I need to know that it is "famous" to enjoy it.

Well today I went to the Museum of Modern Art, affectionately known as MoMA. Well, I realized about half way through that I had not seen very much that I recognized, but at the same time I was enjoying my experience.

this got me wondering.....And then it got me to questioning. Am I affected by obscure modern art b/c it is done in a medium that I have everyday experience with. I mean if I see a beautiful oil painting at the MET I can just walk past and think, "oh that is pretty." But at MoMA if I see an odd image projected onto the wall or if I watch an old man go about his day on a bank off 100 televisions I stop and I think and ponder the images. Is this because I interact with the "image" every day, but I never once see an oil painting unless I go into a museum? Has the TV pixel become my oil brush stroke?

I don't know......
But I must say that my experience at MoMA got better the longer I stayed. Not only was I able to enjoy the obscure art I was able to see some popular art as well. I look at these pictures the same way I read Tolstoy or Camus. I feel that I need to read those books and see these pieces of art to be a fuller more complete human being. So tonight I am a fuller person b/c I have seen

Jackson Pollocks work.....Do you remember the scene in Mona Lisa Smile where Julia Roberts character takes her students to the warehouse to see the painting that looks like the guy just threw the paint onto the canvas? Well that is Jackson Pollock...

Van Gough's the Starry Night....Of course this is one of my favs (again I must wonder if I would like it if someone had not told me it was good--oh well) It was nice to see the real thing after years of seeing it in poster shopts. I got up real close to it and looked at the paint--it is really thick on the canvas...

Monet's Water Lilies...omg it is huge....It is made of three gigantic panels that stretch out for about twenty feet or more

Some Picasso--nothing I really recognized

Andy Warhol's work---I enjoy the hammer and sickle it was nice---I also saw one his images of Monroe and the campbell's soup thingy...

anyway that was my day---one week from right now I will be at home in Mississippi...I wonder if I will want to be there then.

1 Comments:

  • why don't you rub it in, huh? it's just not fair. i mean, i got an A in History of Modern Art! i could have told you the significance of all the works you saw.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sun Dec 11, 04:09:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home