jcardinell

Thursday, December 15, 2005

The elect

Have you ever wanted to be in a secret club? You know like one of those secret societies that the Bush's are in or something like that. We for the past few weeks I have felt like I belong to one of those. It all started when people would come into Barnes and Noble and buy concordances or bible's or even Don millers book Blue like Jazz. Well being the good sales person that I am I would say something like, "oh I like this concordance" or "omg this book by Don Miller is so good." Now while I did mean what I was saying it is not like I was treating the bible-buyer any different from the person who bought A Million Little Pieces. "Oh I have heard so much about this book. You know, lots of Oprah books are really good." Blah blah blah.....

anyway, what I noticed with a few of the bible-buyers is that they get this little twinkle in their eye and they lean in and whisper, "are you a Christian too?"

"umm yes," I answer

"really? Where do you go to church?" they continue in hushed tones.

"well I go to a cool little church up near time square called the 411." I answer and attempt to hand them their bag.

"oh wow. Do they have a wed site?"

"umm yea they do...Here let me write it down for you"

As they leave they look over their shoulder giving me a knowing look. It first seemed odd to me that these bible-buyers were so in awe of meeting another Christian. Then I started to realized how sub the subculture really is. Or at least that is how the people in the city perceive it to be.

then last night I was watching Narnia and I was tearing up when they killed Aslan. I felt like I as one of the few people in the theatre that could understand his sacrifice.

then today I am walking down fifth ave. and I was listening to Christmas music on my mp3 player and I realized that again I was one of the few people on the street who could truly understand the reason for the holiday.

oh well just a thought....

2 Comments:

  • Since our beliefs seldom show in our lives, maybe we should develop a secret handshake or knock so we can identify each other. Then maybe christians could be the anonymous group most of the world wishes it would be.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Sat Dec 17, 11:18:00 PM 2005  

  • was that a big different between new york and the south? was it like this kind hush hush thing about your religion or faith? or were there really not a lot of christians?

    and about what your dad said, didn' they do that with the fish in history? that was how christians identified that to each other.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu Feb 23, 11:20:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home