jcardinell

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

RAND Corporation for the church

As I make my way through seminary, I would like to say that they provide the answer for the future of the church. However, I cannot say that. While I think that seminary is essential to the development of ministers and churches, I think we need more. We need what i have called, in the past, a "Bell Labs for the church" but now refer to the "Rand Corporation for the church."

These corporations provide a "think-tank" to solve problems. RAND's name actually comes from "Research ANd Development. Their website says, "RAND's tradition of problem-solving continues to this day. RAND conducts research and provides analysis to address challenges that face the United States and the world"

The church today has lots of challenges. How can we address these? Should every church put together a team to "solve the problem of the church in the world?" I don't think so. Should denominations do this? Maybe. A few weeks ago I spent two day in Nashville and Atlanta. While in Nashville and the ATL we spent time at Lifeway, the SBC Executive Committee, and NAMB. I came away with much respect for the leadership of these these entities.

Lifeway is preparing great material and they are doing a great job training teachers and leaders; but are they the Rand Corporation for the church?

The Executive Committee is filled with godly men who really do want to reach people for Jesus, but is it the Rand Corporation for the church?

NAMB was amazing. I have great respect for the leaders. But what really got me excited was just sitting in the cafeteria and talking about the future of college ministry in the church. This conversation revealed that they are thinking about the future of the church in North America. Of the three I think NAMB could the RAND of the SBC.

However, are denominations the place to answer the challenges for the church?

Or is the answer a place like Catalyst. I have not been to the Catalyst office so I don't know what the atmosphere is really like. But from what I have learned from benarment.com it seems to be the closest to our Rand and with the addition of Catalyst One Day (which seems similar to Ben Arment's Whiteboard Sesssions) they are beginning to reach more people with the "R & D."

What is answer for the future? I think we need to come together to and work together with the intentionality like RAND and other companies.

1 Comments:

  • Agreed!!!!
    Sorry, Catalyst is not as cool as you think. I work here. But I would love to be a part of a RAND group for the Church.

    Let's start one. Weekly meeting. Tokbox.com

    dm me: twitter.com/jessephillips

    By Blogger Unknown, At Wed Jul 15, 04:07:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home