jcardinell

Thursday, May 15, 2008

"Mac VS PC" leadership lessons

I was reading an article in the June issue of Fast Company about the marketing firm that has been tasked with "saving" Microsoft from those bullying "Mac vs. PC" ads. At the conclusion of the article it says this

"But Microsofts increasing desire to be all things to all people...means it may have to do more than just make consumers aware that is is the massive force behind so much of their lives. It may need to make people willing, even eager to cede that much control to a single company."

In light of working at a church that is need of revitalization. I can somewhat identify with Microsoft. They have been the driving force behind the Personal Computer world for the past 30 years, but now people seem to be turning on them in droves. Emmanuel Church, has been a driving force for the gospel in the lives of our people for at least 15 years, but it seems like we are having very little impact on the lives of our membership and in our city. There seems to be a disconnect between the leadership and membership. Its different from Microsoft whose leaders are "isolated and unable to move and take corrective action." Emmanuels leadership seems to desire "corrective action" but are not able to impliment it due to a lack of trust by the membership of the staff. Maybe we need to do more than make members aware that the church has been the massive force behind their spiritual lives. Instead we need to get people to be willing, even eager to cede that much control to leadership.

How do you do that? Well I think starts with relationships. I mean look at "Mac vs PC" ads. I understand that Apple has me in strangle hold when it comes to software and utitlites I need to create media for the church, but I don't feel as negatively toward them as I do toward Microsoft. Maybe its because I think I could be friends with the Mac guy in the commercial or in an alternate universe, Steve and I could be pals. I dont fell that way about Microsoft. I think we need to learn from Apples marketing firm.

The first step to leading is realtionships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home